Thursday, February 1, 2024

Burning Kids With White Phosphorus Is Not Self-Defense

"Airbursts of artillery-fired white phosphorus fall over the Gaza city port, October 11, 2023.  © 2023 Mohammed Adeb/AFP via Getty Images"  Source: Human Rights Watch report


Trigger warning: there is a photo at the end of this post of a child burned with white phosphorus. Once you've seen it you probably won't be able to unsee it, at least I cannot. 

The fact that this is happening with my tax dollars makes me feel like breaking everything in Washington DC and Wall Street to get it to stop. There's a limit to how much we can handle of viewing or reading about war atrocities. But this particular phase of the decades long project to ethnically "cleanse" Palestinians has to be the worst in my lifetime in terms of documented harm to at least 11,000 innocent children. 

The children of Vietnam were burned with napalm, while the children of Gaza are burned with white phosphorus. We are told it is illegal and a war crime and that it keeps burning all the way down to the bone. And yet, here is this poor child. 

We can only hope the child has died. In our anger and grief we must determine not to fail these children. To do all we can do, and then more.

I hope you can sleep tonight after seeing this image. I'm not sure if I will. But I will still see you on the streets tomorrow.


TRIGGER WARNING

|

TRIGGER WARNING

|

TRIGGER WARNING: MAIMED CHILD




https://twitter.com/s_m_marandi/status/1753033143450259840

No comments: