Tuesday, August 27, 2024

PFAS Pollution By Military Watchdog Hassled At Airports


Upon news that the CEO of popular social media news site Telegram was arrested at the airport in France this week for refusing to censor news Israel feels threatened by, I'm feeling the urge to write about the galloping pace of information control across national borders. (I've linked to the article about this from The Cradle, another great news site which was just banned from both Facebook and Instagram.) 

I don't have time to pull that post together this morning as I have summer visitors. So instead I'm going repost a related report from my friend Pat Elder about being hassled at the airport in Osaka, Japan for his tenacious monitoring of PFAS pollution by the U.S. military. Hassled on behalf of TSA in the U.S., specifically. (Elder been hassled in Ireland at the airport, too.) 

With a massive PFAS spill recently in Brunswick and authorities stonewalling the public about the details, I know that endocrine-disrupting "forever chemicals" entering the water supply and ocean is top of mind for many of us in Maine.

VFP Tour - Osaka Airport - #13 August 23, 2023

They searched me for explosives in Osaka, Japan before I boarded a plane for the U.S.

The U.S. anti-terrorism program administered by Japanese officials is part of the Secondary Security Screening Selection (SSSS) program of the U.S. Transportation Security Administration.

By Pat Elder August 24, 2024

A person wearing gloves and holding a book

Description automatically generated

Japanese authorities confiscated my passport and used a swab to check my arms and legs for explosives.


The SSSS program has been used in an attempt to intimidate political activists critical of U.S. foreign policy.

After spending 3 weeks in Japan warning its citizens throughout the country of the dangers posed by the ongoing and reckless use of carcinogenic substances by the occupying forces of the United States military, I was subjected to harassment by Japanese authorities upon my exit from the country from Osaka on August 23, 2024.

I had initially been issued a boarding pass without the SSSS designation for seat 41A. Hawaii Airlines sent a message over the intercom at the Osaka airport, “Passenger Patrick Elder please report to Gate 30.” They issued me a new ticket for Seat 27A with the SSSS designation.

Secondary Security Screening Selection, or SSSS, is a designation by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) that flags passengers for extra security screening. There's no information about how individuals are chosen for SSSS. Peace activists Father John Dear and Sister Virgine Lawinger, Center for Constitutional Rights lawyers Barbara Olshansky and Nancy Chang, and various U.S. Green Party activists (like me) have been pulled aside for enhanced screening. Many of us have been tracked by the FBI, CIA, Homeland Security, DOD, and various state police agencies.

The Japanese authorities acting on behalf of the U.S. government took my passport and stopped me from boarding. They led me into a separate room. They rubbed cotton swabs on my wrists and legs to test for explosives. They did the same for my shoes. They put the results in a machine. Could the procedure be used to collect DNA samples?

As it turned out, I was the last to board.

I told them I was a nonviolent Christian pacifist and that I would be the last guy to blow up a plane.

A person wearing gloves and gloves

Description automatically generated

Here, they check for evidence of explosives on my leg.


A person tying their shoes

Description automatically generated

Checking for explosives in my shoes.


A person wearing a mask and gloves standing next to a machine

Description automatically generated

The results were fed into a machine that checks for explosives.

The machine shown in the photo is produced by Rapiscan Systems, a wholly owned subsidiary of OSI Systems, Inc. The OSI Political Action Committee makes generous contributions to members of Congress involved in regulating the TSA.

I asked the stern Japanese agents why I was selected and they said it was an entirely random process, but I responded that I had been through the same treatment by Irish lackeys after addressing the American military’s poisoning of the European continent during a conference in Dublin in 2018.

I told the Japanese officials my bags are frequently searched and that I had been speaking in Japanese cities about contamination coming from U.S. bases. What could they say?

In Ireland, authorities confiscated my laptop and cell phone for a half hour. I suppose they downloaded everything they were looking for. Surveillance techniques have improved to the point today that they already know what is on our laptops and cell phones.


To be continued.....


Pat Elder's reporting on PFAS pollution around the globe is available here.

No comments: