Saturday, January 5, 2019

National Education Association (Teacher's Union) Resolves To Eliminate Racist School Mascots

26 years ago the NEA began to address the Native team name/mascot problem as an educational issue, and they're still at it.
Image source: American Indian Sports Team Mascots

I had missed news that the National Education Association -- which I belong to through the state level MEA -- voted to urge schools to retire Native-themed mascots and team names. The Representative Assembly of the NEA passed a resolution in July, 2018 that reads: 

The NEA RA directs NEA to support, in ways it finds appropriate and within the budget, the removal of “R-skins, Braves, Indians, and Warriors” mascots and the imagery associated with each from public schools.


Screenshot of elementary school teacher Marty Meeden, who is Paiute-Washoe, from this NEA video about his advocacy helping non-Native educators understand the effect their attitudes (and ignorance) have on Native students.

As reported by Minneapolis television station KARE11 in the city where the NEA held its annual meeting last summer, Marty Meeden, a former chair of the NEA's American Indian/Alaska Native Caucus, noted that mascots are "demeaning to us as Native people" and explained why this is an educational issue:
...poor imagery has a whole lot to do with our success and failures as students and adults. 
And to still allow those words to be said and perpetuated, it still keeps us not even as second-class citizens, but third or fourth-class citizens.



I appreciate Allison Dorko,Ph.D., a Skowhegan Area High School alumna who teaches mathematics at Oklahoma State University, sharing this info with me.

Dorko also submitted a letter to the school board in Skowhegan last week arguing that board member Jennifer Poirier should recuse herself from any votes on retiring the mascot.

Dorko argues that Poirier organizes the group Skowhegan "Indian Pride" which clearly indicates her bias. 



SIP often posts racist memes and language about Native people, including rape threats aimed at Penobscot Tribal Ambassador Maulian Dana, a Native woman who has led the effort to retire the Indian mascot and team name.

Dorko sent her letter to the Waterville Morning Sentinel's opinion page also but, unless they print it today, I am going to scoop them when I publish her letter here tomorrow.

The school board is holding a public forum on Tuesday, January 8, at 6pm at the Skowhegan Area Middle School, and I know people coming from all over the state to call for retirement of the Indian team name.

Alumni who currently reside outside Maine will be present to call for its retirement as well. One may even be a former star of the field hockey team which won three in a row state championships. Stay tuned...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thiss deѕign iѕ incrеdible! You obviously ҝnow how to keep a reader entertaineԁ.
Between your wit and your videoѕ, I was aⅼmost moved
to start myy ownn blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Wonderful
job. I reallу loved what you hɑd to say, аnd more than that, how you preѕented it.
Too cooⅼ!

Anonymous said...

Ahaa, its nice discussion concerning this post here at this blog,
I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting at this place.
I’ve been surfing online greater than 3
hours nowadays, but I never discovered any interesting article like yours.
It is lovely value enough for me. Personally, if all web owners and
bloggers made just right content material as you
did, the web will likely be much more helpful than ever before.
It’s the best time to make some plans for the longer term and it’s time to be happy.
I have learn this post and if I could I wish to recommend
you some interesting issues or tips. Maybe you can write subsequent
articles relating to this article. I wish to learn even more issues approximately
it! http://foxnews.co.uk

Anonymous said...

Hey There. I found your weblog using msn. This is a very smartly written article.
I'll be sure to bookmark it and return to learn more of your helpful information.
Thank you for the post. I'll certainly comeback.

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Its truly awesome post, I have got much clear idea about from
this post.

Anonymous said...

What's up all, here every one is sharing these experience,
therefore it's nice to read this weblog, and I used to visit
this web site all the time.

Anonymous said...

It's an awesome post in favor of all the online users; they
will get benefit from it I am sure.

Anonymous said...

I every time spent my half an hour to read this website's articles or reviews every day along with a cup
of coffee.

Anonymous said...

Nice weblog here! Additionally your website loads up fast!

What host are you using? Can I am getting your associate link for your host?

I wish my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

Anonymous said...

I blog often and I really thank you for your information. This
great article has truly peaked my interest.I am going to take a note of your website and keep
checking for new information about once per week. I opted in for your Feed as well.

Anonymous said...

I like this website because so much useful
material on here : D.