|source: USA Today Obamas greet military families in Hawaii|
Ok, that's a partial action list for 2012. But right now, still 2011, President Obama has neither signed nor vetoed $600+ billion for continued military expansion in the coming year, and the gravest attacks on civil liberties since the McCarthy era, the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). It's not too late!
Call the White House 9am-5pm EST Switchboard: 202-456-1414
Other things I plan to do in 2012:
24 hour automated comments recording: 202-456-1111
- Keep reading (while we still have the Internet). Here's a good article I started yesterday: "Economic Downturn Took a Detour at Capital Hill" by Eric Lichtblau in the NYT via Common Dreams. It's about how banks got bailed out, we got sold out -- and our "representatives" in Congress got wealthy in the process.
- Help wage a vigorous campaign against impending Internet censorship (SOPA is the House version of the bill, PIPA is the Senate version).
- Help people stay in their already occupied homes by resisting the next cascading millions of foreclosures.
- Join a planning meeting for the statewide Bring Our War $$ Home campaign on Sat. Jan 14 at noon in Augusta.
- Lend CODEPINK Maine support to the Union of Maine Visual Artists celebrating a creative response to the Occupy movement that has swept the planet, and is still rolling on gathering momentum. Sat. Jan 21 (snow day Sun. Jan 22) Draw-a-Thon at Harlow Gallery in Hallowell. Are you an artist? No need to wait until Jan. 21. Start creating now!