Wednesday, November 16, 2011

We Smashed Iraq and Afghanistan, Now It's Happening Here

It's what my Pink sister Janet said to me today. She was grieving Occupy Oakland, which she had described to me last month as "sweet" and with a family, community feel about it, now reduced to a muddy trampled bit of earth but filled up with the indomitable spirit of the people. She was kind of mad that people who hadn't seemed to care about the U.S. violently attacking countries far away from us were now all riled up. I told her it's human nature, or as my mom is wont to say, it all depends on whose ox is being gored. 


Hell hath no fury like a media worker whose equipment has been wantonly destroyed.


Check out Occupy Oakland's answer to police brutality, where they pledge as a community to SURVIVE: "Did you think I'd crumble? Did you think I'd lay down and die?"



Most hopeful news item of the day? Tie between Karl Rove being disrupted by Occupy Baltimore, or this one about the retired police captain who knows a show of unnecessary force and bad policing when he sees it. With guys like him joining the 99% every day, this thing is far from peaking.

No comments: