Thursday, July 5, 2018

Which Side Would Lady Liberty Be On In The #SecondCivilWar ?


Therese Patricia Okoumou made history on July 4th by climbing to the feet of the statue of liberty in New York harbor, refusing to come down until all the caged children seized at the U.S. border were released. 

Instead of complying with her humane demand, law enforcement used force to remove Okoumou, jailed her, and then attempted to trivialize her protest by charging the 44 year old immigrant with performing a "dangerous stunt."



I don't know about you, but to me this looks like a woman staging a direct action, not a stunt.

Okoumou put her safety on the line. Reportedly, she was not backed up by the Rise and Resist group she had been demonstrating with. I'm curious about that and looking for confirmation/more information. If I had to guess, I'd say they probably retreated to cafes and continued tweeting out #SecondCivilWarletters which have been cracking me up and sometimes inspiring me as I read the news from home.















REVISED July 24 to include the funniest tweet yet on this subject:






No comments: